Friday, February 14th, 2020 by Haley Tepool
Calling all pet lovers- February 20th is National Love Your Pet Day! As a pet owner, you always want what's best for them. You provide them with the best food, bed, leash and collar, toys, and of course, lots of love because they are a special part of your family. Are you providing them with the best quality of air though? For a human’s health, all mold is bad, therefore it is bad for your pets as well. Besides irritating people with asthma and mold allergies, studies show that prolonged exposure to mold can cause asthma. According to PetMD, pets inhaling mold can cause respiratory distress, nasal discharge, coughing, wheezing, sneezing, lethargy, and sometimes bleeding from the mouth and/or nose.
Have you ever thought about the visible or invisible mold hiding in your basement or crawl space affecting your family? The visible mold is typically the fuzzy moss-like growth that people find on drywall, wood trim, and wood framing. Regardless of the color and musty odor, mold can be very dangerous. Invisible mold can be present in a home where there are no visible growth signs, like in dark wet areas. Mold is present long before it "grows" big enough to be seen by the naked eye.
The only way for mold not to grow in your home is to be sure that there are no sources of moisture in your basement or crawl space. These include plumbing leaks, condensation, groundwater leakage, vapor transmission, and wicking. Your first step in ensuring you and your pet have a healthy place to live is taking control of the problem through a professional. If you think your home has mold or similar issues, we offer a free estimate for any homeowner experiencing a problem. Here at Healthy Spaces, we want to keep you and your pets safe. Be your pet's superhero and get your home inspected today.