Putting your home on the market is always nerve-racking for sellers. When your home doesn't sell, everyone is affected. The homeowner is worried that their home will never sell, while the realtor is worried about making sure the house sells. The condition of your basement or crawl space may be what's keeping buyers away. Here are 4 things you can do to help sell your home:
- Fix basement water problems- A good drainage system and sump pump will keep the basement dry all the time. Showing a home will be a breeze when there is an up-to-date basement waterproofing system in place.
- Don't ignore the crawl space- Crawl spaces can be breeding grounds for mold and bacteria. The odors generated in this damp environment can reach up into the home creating a musty odor that will turn off potential buyers. The solution is to get your crawl space encapsulated to seal the crawlspace and prevent the growth of bacteria and mold.
- Eliminate mold and moisture- A good dehumidifier can keep the air in the basement or crawl space fresh and odor-free. It’s important to choose a dehumidifier specifically designed for such an environment. The SaniDry Dehumidification system is a good choice to clean the air and filter out mold spores.
- Finish your basement- Your basement is the least expensive way to increase living space. How much return on your investment you get depends on the quality of the finished basement space when you sell. This is an investment when you spend your money and get it back in the future along with many other benefits.
While interest rates are low, many people think it's a great time to buy a home. While looking at homes, here are 4 main things that you should be looking for:
- Foundation Issues- There are many signs and symptoms that you can observe that may indicate a foundation settlement problem. These signs can be found on the inside or outside of the home. Some common signs outside are stair-step cracking, chimney separation, or doors and windows out of square or squeaking. Inside the home, you should look for drywall cracks, stair-step cracks, and cues from doors and windows.
- Windows- Make sure the windows are straight and slide open and closed easily. Windows sticking is a common sign of foundation issues. While looking at the windows, make sure they were installed correctly and sealed tight.
- Mold- No one wants to buy a home with a mold problem, and no one will. Visible mold is commonly found on drywall, wood trim, and in the closet, but mold can be present in a home even when no visible growth signs are found. Mold likes dark wet areas like basements and crawl spaces.
- Water Damage- Most homes with water damage will have a musty odor to them. Some negative effects of water damage that still might be in the home are dust mites, smelly damp carpets, buckling hardwood floors, increased heating/cooling bills, mold, and aggravated asthma and allergies.
No matter how hot the market is, or how rushed you are to make a decision on buying our selling your home, these 4 things should always be looked at before purchasing or listing your dream home. If you have bought a home with any of these issues and need them resolved, reach out to us for a free estimate. We are happily scheduling appointments and also offer easy payment plans if needed.